Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hamburger Cupcakes?

Sounds strange, but they are delicious!! I made these last summer for a BBQ and I can't think of a better cupcake that pairs with a BBQ.
I first saw this post on one of my favorite blogs Bakerella , if you have not visited this site I highly recommend it. Hamburger Cupcakes have three parts; cupcake (bun), brownie (meat), and frosting (ketchup, mustard, and lettuce).  They are ingenious and the blend of cupcake, frosting and brownie are amazing.

Follow these easy steps for assembling your "Hamburgers"
  1. Bake your cupcakes (yellow cake tends to look more like a bun), let them cool completely and then cut in half
  2. Bake brownies, let them cool completely and then cut out 1 1/2" circles
  3. Separate a tub of store bought cream cheese or butter cream frosting or your own creation into three bowls, color one green (lettuce), yellow (mustard), and red (ketchup)
  4. Build your burger: add brownie to the bottom half of a cupcake, pipe on your condiments, add the top half of the cupcake, and lastly add a couple sesame seeds to the top to really make it look like a hamburger.
  5. Makes 20-24 cupcakes
Here is a picture of the end result:
 A couple tips:
  •  Make sure you let the cupcakes cool completely so they don't fall apart when you take them out of the wrapper
  •  Add a little bit of purple to your red frosting to make it a deeper red
For next time:
  • I might try to add some orange to my yellow next time to make it a little bit darker
  • I might also make the French Fries that are also shown on Bakerella

    2 comments:

    1. You should totally buy professional gel food coloring. You get really vivid colors without a lot of tricks (and it takes way less to get the colors you want). :) You can get them a cake store, or you can get them on Amazon. I like Americolor. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'll have to check those out, that would be much easier than combining colors together until I get the one that I want.

      ReplyDelete