Sunday, April 10, 2011


For probably close to a year now I've  been wanting to make Macarons, not the coconut ones, but the delicate and pretty sandwich ones. It's taken me this long to give them a try because every blog I've read (and I've read a lot) focus on how difficult they are to make, that almost everything that can go wrong will, and you have to leave your egg whites sitting out to age for a couple of days (that seemed sketchy to me).  Anyway, my friend Melissa recently made some and had success, this gave me the courage to give them a try; I now had someone I could talk to about the techniques she tried and what worked for her, we actually chatted via Gmail the entire time I was making my cookies.

So it went like this:
- I cracked and separated my eggs on Tuesday night and let them sit all day Wednesday and Thursday
- Thursday I got organized; I pre-weighed all my ingredients (every Macaron recipe I've found is in grams so good thing I have a scale), got my mixer fitted with the whisk, and I lined my baking sheets with parchment paper that I'd drawn 1.5 inch circles on so I made the same size cookies
- Now it was down to actually making the cookies, I followed a recipe and instructions from Brave Tart
  1. I mixed my egg whites with the sugar and salt - mixed for a total of 9 minutes
  2. Sifted the almond flour with the powdered sugar
  3. Added the vanilla and coloring to the egg/sugar/salt mixture (meringue) - mixed for one more minute
  4. Added the almond/sugar to the meringue and started to hand mix (fold and press) with a rubber spatula, once I thought the consistency was right I spooned the batter into a piping bag fitted with a regular round tip
  5. Piped the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets and let sit for 15-18 minutes so they could firm up
  6. Then popped them into the oven to bake and crossed my fingers
The results were mildly successful and most importantly they were edible, but here is what I think I did wrong:
  1. I didn't sift the almond flour and powdered sugar enough
  2. I didn't mix the meringue, almond flour, and powered sugar into the right consistency; my batter was still kind of lumpy and didn't spread like I thought it should
  3. I cooked two tray at once (one on top and one on bottom) and I over cooked first batch produced hollow cookies, which I don't think is right
  4. My second batch was just one tray and I cooked them for a less time, 15 rather than 18 minutes, they were better but I still think they need to be cooked for less time
All in all, I was very happy with my first attempt.  Having Melissa there to talk to helped a ton and Brave Tart made the whole process seem less scary.  I will definitely be trying these again.

Oh and I used the Bailey's Ganache recipe from my St. Patty's Day Guinness Cupcakes...delicious!!!

ingredients ready to go

ready to go into the oven

they were supposed to be purple

Success (sort of)


  1. Yay - they look good! and I got a shout out :) I am trying them again this weekend, I will let you know how it goes.

  2. I have wanted to try these for ages. Still not brave enough. :)

  3. Sharone, you should totally give them a try, they were a lot easier than I expected them to be. Just follow the directions from Brave Tart, they were super detailed and easy to follow.